Sunday, January 31, 2010

School at the kitchen table

This should have been posted back in August.

Tuesday marked the first day of school for Redmond students.  Hayden’s best friend (actually they call each other sister and brother) started kindergarten this year and I was worried that since she was going to school Hayden would want to go to “regular” school with her, so I fearfully asked him one afternoon.  He said he wanted to do home school.   Great!  Then I took it a step further and drove him to the school his friend would attend in the fall and asked him again, “do you want to go to this school with Francine, or do you want to home school?”  Again the answer was home school.  I had dodged the bullet again.  Well, when school started this week I thought it would be fun to see Francine off on the school bus on her first day but we overslept. We tried again on the second day.  We crawled out of bed at 7:45, slipped on some cozy clothes and dragged out feet to the bus stop.  On our way there Hayden said to me “I don’t want to go to school because it’s too early.”  YES, I thought to myself.  

I mention this only to highlight one of the main reasons I chose to home school; flexibility (and sleeping in).

Flexibility allows us to navigate our day our way.  We aren’t rushed in the morning to eat breakfast, get dressed, and race to get to school.  Yes, some mornings when I schedule an early doctor’s appointment we are forced to hustle, but we aren’t doing it five mornings a week. 

Another example is that if Hayden were in regular school, we wouldn’t be able to take a two month cross country road trip.  Instead we are going to home school along the way. 

And I just want to point out that while I’ve been writing this post, Hayden has sat across the kitchen table from me doing his math.  Oh, he’s done.  It’s time for spelling.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really great reason to homeschool! A friend of mine chose to homeschool for a variety of reasons, but firstly because her husband runs a restaurant and has late mornings and very late nights. If it weren't for homeschooling, he'd almost never see his kids! Now they can all eat breakfast and spend the morning together before he goes to work and the kids start school. It works out really well for them. And you're right about schooling on trips. Homeschool gives great flexibility which is a huge asset to the whole family.
    I'm glad that we've chosen to homeschool because we can start officially whenever we're ready--be it August when most kids start, or January if it better suits us. :)

    ReplyDelete